JazzTimes’ latest digital-only eGuide immerses readers in the lower depths—the crucial bedrock foundation that gives jazz the ability to swing and soar. Featuring articles specially selected from the magazine’s archives, The Lowdown trains a spotlight on the bass and some of the great musicians who play it. Included in this bottom-heavy collection:
- Ethan Iverson re-examines Ron Carter’s playing on three early-’80s gems
- Carlos Henriquez of the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra takes our Before & After listening challenge with Matthew Kassel
- Distinguished sideman Marc Johnson receives an Overdue Ovation from Shaun Brady
- An in-depth profile of Linda May Han Oh by Geoffrey Himes
- Colin Fleming praises the Count Basie Orchestra’s not-so-secret weapon, Walter Page
If you’re a fan of the low end, you’ll certainly enjoy The Lowdown. Get it as a free download right here.