The Queens Jazz Orchestra, led by Jimmy Heath, will present Forever Sunny, a concert of Sonny Rollins’ compositions, on June 9 at 7 p.m. at Flushing Town Hall in New York. The performance will include special orchestral arrangements of “Oleo,” “St. Thomas” and selections from the albums Tenor Madness and Saxophone Colossus. Heath will also provide a special commentary about Rollins, a long-time friend and fellow NEA Jazz Master, after the performance.
For more information and to purchase tickets, visit the Flushing Town Hall website.
Queens Jazz Orchestra
- Jimmy Heath: leader/tenor sax
- Antonio Hart, Mark Gross: alto and soprano saxes
- Bobby LaVell, Sam Dillon: tenor sax
- Gary Smulyan: baritone sax
- John Mosca, Steve Davis, Jason Jackson: trombone
- Douglas Purveyance: bass trombone
- Frank Greene, Michael Mossman, Greg Gisbert, Diego Urcola: trumpet
- Jeb Patton: piano
- David Wong: bass
- Evan Sherman: drums