Canadian-based Justin Time Records celebrates its 25th anniversary with a double-disc collection due Aug. 26.
The album’s 27 cuts include the Justin Time’s first signing, Oliver Jones (pictured), and more recent acts, such as hip-hop-jazz hybrid Russell Gunn. While jazz is the most represented genre, the compilation also includes Justin Time’s forays into blues (Bryan Lee) and world music (Quartango).
Jim West launched Justin Time Records, named after his then infant son, in 1983 after hearing the Oliver Jones Trio at a jazz club. West felt the trio should be recorded and shortly after, Justin Time Records was born, releasing Jones’ Live at Biddle’s Jazz & Ribs, Jones’ first album as a bandleader, a press release said.
For the compilation, Justin Time had more than 300 recorded albums from its catalog to choose from.
The full track list is as follows:
1. Until I Was Loved – Ranee Lee & Oliver Jones
2. Softly As In A-Morning Sunrise – Hank Jones
3. Sacred Ground – David Murray feat. Cassandra Wilson
4. Waltz of The Water Puppets – Billy Bang
5. This Can’t Be Love – Diana Krall
6. Todavia – Intakto
7. OP & D – Dave Young with Oscar Peterson
8. Honeysuckle Rose – Susie Arioli Swing Band
9. Milonga Diablo – Quartango
10. Startled – Paul Bley
11. Lyne’s Joint – Russell Gunn
12. My Funny Valentine – Denny Christianson Big Band
13. 2 To Tango – Coral Egan
1. Highway to Heaven – Montreal Jubilation Choir
2. Con Alma – Rob McConnell Tentet
3. Presto – Kenny Wheeler & Paul Bley
4. Opus IV – Jon Ballantyne Trio
5. Moody Mood for Love – Carmen Lundy
6. Not A Moment Too Soon – Hugh Ragin
7. Hold Me – Carol Welsman
8. Le Shuffle – DD Jackson
9. Baby Don’t Quit Now – Jeri Brown & Jimmy Rowles
10. Gwotet – David Murray & the Gwo Ka Masters
11. Good Day Miss Lee – Oliver Jones
12. Spinning Wheel – David Clayton-Thomas
13. Mannish Boy – World Saxophone Quartet with James Blood Ulmer
14. Key To The Highway – Bryan Lee