Winter Jazzfest has become a cornerstone event in NYC during a frenetic time in early January when the Association of Performing Arts Presenters (APAP) conference, the Jazz Congress (replacing the Jazz Connect Conference) and Chamber Music America’s conference all convene over a two-week period. Organized by the Boom Collective’s Brice Rosenbloom and a consortium of presenters, the 2018 Winter Jazzfest takes place Jan. 10-17 with a series of concerts as well as the festival’s two-night marathon of shows at about a dozen clubs and venues on Jan. 12-13.
Not surprisingly, the 2018 Winter Jazzfest will focus on various themes of political and social action with a concert series entitled “WE RESIST!” Those themes include mass incarceration, gender equality, racial justice, immigration rights and environmental responsibility.
In addition, the festival will present an all-star tribute to the late Geri Allen at the New School on Jan. 15, with musical direction by Terri Lyne Carrington and featuring Angela Davis, Esperanza Spalding, Craig Taborn, Dee Dee Bridgewater, Dianne Reeves, Farah Jasmine Griffin, Ingrid Jensen, Jack DeJohnette, Jaimeo Brown, Jeff “Tain” Watts, Kassa Overall, Kris Davis, Linda May Han Oh, Maurice Chestnut, Mino Cinelu, Ravi Coltrane, S. Epatha Merkerson, Tia Fuller, Vijay Iyer and more.
Several special concerts will take place at Le Poisson Rouge in Greenwich Village. On Jan. 10, the noted British jazz DJ and impresario Gilles Peterson will host a British Jazz Showcase there with the Comet Is Coming, Nubya Garcia, Yazz Ahmed and Oscar Jerome. Ravi Coltrane will honor his mother’s legacy with a performance of Universal Consciousness: Melodic Meditations of Alice Coltrane on Jan. 14. Artist-in-residence Nicole Mitchell is featured on two nights, also at Le Poisson Rouge: Her Afrofuturist Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds with Tyshawn Sorey, on Jan. 16; and Deerhoof meets Wadada Leo Smith, with Nicole Mitchell: Maroon Cloud, on Jan. 17.
Confirmed acts for the weekend marathon of shows include:
- Alexis Cuadrado: “The Immigrant” (live score)
- Antonio Sanchez & Migration
- Banda Magda
- Camila Meza & the Nectar Orchestra
- Charlie Hunter Trio featuring Silvana Estrada
- Don Byron/Aruán Ortiz Duo
- Donny McCaslin
- Fred Hersch Pocket Orchestra
- Jaimie Branch’s Fly or Die
- James Carter’s Elektrik Outlet
- Jamie Baum Septet+
- Jazzmeia Horn
- Josh Lawrence & Color Theory
- Lakecia Benjamin and Soul Squad
- Lucia Cadotsch’s Speak Low
- Luciana Souza Trio
- Marc Ribot’s Ceramic Dog
- Marc Ribot’s Songs of Resistance
- Mark Guiliana Jazz Quartet with Fabian Almazan, Jason Rigby and Chris Morrissey
- Marquis Hill Blacktet
- Michael Mwenso: Protest Songs From Africa to America
- Miguel Atwood-Ferguson Ensemble
- Nicole Mitchell Art and Anthem for Gwendolyn Brooks
- Nicole Mitchell Trio
- Red Baraat
- René Marie Experiment in Truth
- Rez Abbasi Invocation
- Ryan Keberle & Catharsis: Music as Protest
- Sara Serpa Recognition with Ingrid Laubrock and Zeena Parkins
- Sons of Kemet (Shabaka Hutchings)
- Stefon Harris Blackout
- Sylvie Courvoisier – Mark Feldman Duo
- The Invisible Man – An Orchestral Tribute to Dr. Dre
- Wayne Horvitz
For more information and tickets, visit the 2018 Winter Jazzfest website.