The April 2017 issue features our interview with bassist extraordinaire Linda May Han Oh, Cecil McBee on his classic recordings with Charles Lloyd, Pharoah Sanders and McCoy Tyner and a spectrum of artists talking Trump. Other highlights: BBNG from the beginning; review of a new epic Ornette Coleman box set; Bobby Vega and Steve Swallow on plectrum-powered electric bass; Q&A with bassist and composer Miles Mosley and much more. Plus, a special bonus guide that covers over 190 summer jazz camps.
- Various Artists: Celebrate Ornette
- Jim Black: Malamute
- Harriet Tubman: Araminta
- Corey Christiansen: Factory Girl
- Eliane Elias: Dance of Time
- Ethan Iverson: The Purity of the Turf
- Bill Evans: On a Monday Evening
- Tigran Hamasyan: An Ancient Observer
- José James: Love in a Time of Madness
- Petros Klampanis: Chroma
- Wallace Roney
- Josh Lawrence: Color Theory
- Keiko Matsui: Journey to the Heart
- The Microscopic Septet: Been Up So Long...
- Matt Mitchell: Førage
- Kurt Rosenwinkel: Caipi
- Mostly Other People Do the Killing: Loafer's Hollow
- Jeremy Pelt: Make Noise!
- John Raymond & Reel Feels: Live, Vol. 1
- Mark Whitfield: Grace
- Vinnie Sperrazza: Juxtaposition
2017 Summer Jazz Programs
- Guide to workshops, clinics and camps