Peter Levinson’s biography on jazz giant Tommy Dorsey, Tommy Dorsey: Livin’ in a Great Big Way, is due out Nov. 1, just in time for the Nov. 19 centennial of Dorsey’s birth and the release of Bluebird/Legacy’s three-CD box set entitled The Sentimental Gentleman of Swing.
Levinson was first exposed to Dorsey’s music as a student at the University of Virginia, where Dorsey performed in 1953. This well-researched biography encompasses nearly every aspect of the life of one of the greatest Big Band era leaders in depth and makes extensive use of interviews with the musicians who knew him.; including his surprising cause of death.
To support the book’s release, Levinson will be making rounds across the country:
- Oct. 25, 7 p.m.: Dutton’s (Brentwood Store)
- Oct. 28, 7 p.m.: Vroman’s
- Nov. 9, 7 p.m.: Diesel (Malibu store)
- Dec. 1, 7 p.m.: Book Soup (Orange County Store store, South Coast Plaza)
- Dec. 12, 7 p.m.: Barnes & Noble (Thousand Oaks store, Westlake Promenade)
New York City