The 2013 US Bank Portland Jazz Festival will be held Feb. 15-24, 2013 at venues throughout Portland, Ore. According to an announcement from festival organizers, “The 10th anniversary celebration will include a heady mix of world premiere and For Portland Only performances with a series of concerts featuring an imposing array of internationally recognized and local musicians playing a wide-range of jazz styles. Education and outreach as always amplify the festival’s recognition of Black History Month through a series of community-wide initiatives.”
This year’s headliners are NEA Jazz Master Jack DeJohnette in a world premiere special quartet edition featuring Ravi Coltrane, Matt Garrison and George Colligan; the Jazz Message Celebrating Art Blakey in another For Portland Only premiere featuring Javon Jackson, Bobby Watson, Eddie Henderson, Curtis Fuller, George Cables, Buster Williams and Lewis Nash; The west coast premiere by ACS featuring Geri Allen, Terri Lyne Carrington and Esperanza Spalding; Afro Cuban All-Stars and Alfredo Rodriguez; Steve Kuhn Trio featuring special guest Devin Phillips; Kurt Rosenwinkel; Kenny Garrett Quartet; Patricia Barber Quartet; Sex Mob Plays Fellini; Portland Jazz Master Nancy King with Steve Christofferson and Glen Moore; Barry Harris Trio; Matt Wilson Arts & Crafts; Gerald Wilson leading two Portland based groups; Scott Hamilton Quartet; Art Abrams Swing Machine Big Band In Tribute to Stan Kenton featuring Rebecca Kilgore; The Blue Cranes, and more.
Other festival highlights include: Berlin-based Kurt Rosenwinkel playing Portland for the first time, Gerald Wilson’s first PDX appearance since 1949 when he last played lead trumpet in the Basie band, the PDX debut by Cuban pianist Alfredo Rodriguez, Art Abrams gathering his 20 strong aggregation in tribute to Stan Kenton featuring Rebecca Kilgore and a rare PDX appearance by 83-year-old NEA Jazz Master Barry Harris.
Community outreach programming including the Student Stage set to take place at Portland State University on February 16 and 17, the Incredible Journey of Jazz school program, Jazz Conversations and more to be announced soon.
Complete concert schedule
• Friday Feb. 15, 7:30 pm, Aladdin Theater Afro Cuban All-Stars & Alfredo Rodriguez
• Friday Feb. 15, 7 & 9:30 pm, Jimmy Mak’s NEA Jazz Master Barry Harris w/ Chuck Israels & Todd Strait in partnership w/ Soul Patch Music
• Saturday Feb. 16, 7:30 pm, Scottish Rite Auditorium Art Abrams Swing Machine Big Band featuring Rebecca Kilgore in Tribute to Stan Kenton w/ Shanghai Woolies
• Saturday Feb. 16, 9:30 pm, Mission Theater Blue Cranes in partnership w/ Creative Music Guild
• Sunday Feb. 17, 3:00 pm, Classic Piano Alfredo Rodriguez, solo piano
• Monday Feb. 18, 7 & 9:30pm, Jimmy Mak’s NEA Jazz Master Gerald Wilson
• Tuesday Feb. 19 7 & 9:30 pm, Jimmy Mak’s Scott Hamilton Quartet
• Tuesday Feb. 19, 7:30 pm, Evans Auditorium Kurt Rosenwinkel Quartet in partnership w/ Lewis & Clark College
• Wednesday Feb. 20, 7 & 9:30 pm, Jimmy Mak’s Matt Wilson Arts & Crafts
• Thursday Feb. 21, 7:00 pm, Winningstad Theater Patricia Barber Quartet
• Thursday Feb. 21, 9:30 pm, Winningstad Theater Kenny Garrett Quartet
• Friday Feb. 22, 7:00 pm, Newmark Theater The Jazz Message; Celebrating Art Blakey
• Friday Feb. 22, 9:30 pm, Winngstad Theater Steve Kuhn Trio w/ special guest Devin Phillips
• Saturday Feb. 23, 7:00 pm, Newmark Theater NEA Jazz Master Jack DeJohnette Feat. Ravi Coltrane, Matt Garrison & George Colligan
• Saturday Feb. 23, 9;30 pm, Winningstand Theatre Sex Mob Plays Fellini
• Sunday Feb. 24, 3:00 pm, Winningstad Theater Portland Jazz Master Nancy King with Glen Moore and Steve Christofferson
• Sunday Feb. 24, 7:00 pm Newmark Theater ACS-Geri Allen, Terri Lyne Carrington, Esperanza Spalding
Portland Jazz Festival Box Office
Hours of Operation: 11AM – 5:00PM, Monday – Friday
Order by Phone: 503-228-5299
Walk Up: 133 SW 2nd Ave, Ste 420 Portland OR 97204
Tickets are available online: www.pdxjazz.com w/ complete details on our ticketing page.
PCPA Main Box Office (For shows at the Newmark and The Winningstad Only)
1111 SW Broadway
Open 10AM – 5PM, Monday – Saturday
Walk Up Sales Only
PDX Jazz Members and the Citizens of Jazzlandia have the advantage of reserving the best seats first during the exclusive pre-sale period from October 15-26. On public sale Saturday, October 27 @ 10:00AM at the PCPA box office or online at pdxjazz.com and the festival office beginning Monday, October 29.
Tickets range from $15 – $58 (fees may apply)
Ticket Packages are available for a discounted price exclusively through the Portland Jazz Festival Box Office. Call the PDX Jazz office for more details.
For a complete schedule of events, visit PDX.