Free Jazz Guitar Workshop with Kevin Eubanks, Stanley Jordan, Russ Freeman, Lorne Lofsky, Greg Lowe, Stan Samole
Sep 02 - Sep 04, 2011
The inaugural Jazz On The Mountain At Whistler invites aspiring guitar students from across North America to apply for 70 coveted spots within the Master Class Series, taking place September 2 to 4, 2011 in Whistler, BC. Over the course of six workshops, students will learn from some of jazz music’s most well-known guitar virtuosos– Kevin Eubanks, Stanley Jordan, Russ Freeman, Lorne Lofsky, Greg Lowe and Stan Samole, providing a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to pick up tips from true masters.
Six intimate, 90-minute learning sessions will each be taught by a true jazz master:
- Kevin Eubanks (Philadelphia and LA) – leader of The Tonight Show band for 18 years, and first “Artist In Residence” at the inaugural Jazz On The Mountain At Whistler festival. Eubanks is the Dean of the Master Classes and will deliver an opening and closing address as well as his own session;
- Stanley Jordan (Chicago and Arizona) – one of the best known solo guitarists of all time. Jordan is widely recognized for having pioneered the “two-handed finger-tap” guitar technique. He is also a spectacular pianist and one of the world’s top spokesmen for the advancement of music therapy;
- Russ Freeman (Galveston and LA) – producer, arranger and multi-instrumentalist; Freeman is the leader of contemporary jazz band, The Rippingtons;
- Lorne Lofsky (Toronto) – unquestionably one of Canada's finest jazz guitarists with a career dating back to the mid 1970s. Lofsky was heard all over the world in the Oscar Peterson group;
- Greg Lowe (Winnipeg) – “the combustion behind jazz fusion’s commercial sheen; a smart, heartfelt composer who happens to be a delicious guitarist." (Winnipeg Free Press). Lowe is now one of Canada’s top classical/jazz music orchestrators, and delves into genres as diverse as Latin, world, funk and R&B.
- Stan Samole (Toronto) – well respected by a host of internationally renowned musicians and jazz critics, a professional guitarist since age 13 and a favourite of fans for his playing in the renowned fusion ensemble Elements. Samole was formerly the Director of Jazz Studies at the University of Miami.
The most improved students from the Master Class Series will be selected by Eubanks and the Master Class faculty to perform with their teachers in an All-Star Jazz On The Mountain At Whistler Jam, to be held the afternoon of Sunday, September 4, 2011 on the free outdoor stage of Village Square in the heart of Whistler Village.
Tuition is fully sposored by the festival (Free tuition!)
Students interested in participating in the Master Class Series must complete an online application form by Aug 22, 2011. A letter of reference from the applicant’s music teacher and two solo recordings must be uploaded to complete the application. Full details and an outline of associated fees are available online at www.whistlerjazzfest.com/masterclasses.
Do you know more details about this event? Add them!