Genuinely Innovative-May Be Considered Groundbreaking Don Williamson Jazz Review Inimitable PM NYC/Paper Magazine Impressive, Intense Time Out NY. Takes You On A Journey To A Place Where Anything Is Possible John Kelman, All About Jazz Another Angle On Exploring Tone Colors That You Will Not Want To Miss Grego Applegate Edwards, Cadence Virtuosic For Sure Joe Maneri. Highly Exceptional Jimmy Giuffre
One of the most original voices on New Yorks Jazz/Improvised music scene, and one of the most innovative on his instrument to emerge during the past decade, acclaimed guitar virtuoso, composer & bandleader Sten Hostfalt has for the past decade been recognized by leading international press as one of few guitarists worldwide to regularly live in concert create new original music beyond the equal tempered 12-tone system using self-invented interpretative techniques for the 6 string/12 fret guitar. Thus contributing to expanding the vocabulary for the planets most played and most popular instrument.
Internationally introduced as an apprentice in Jazz orchestras led by Phil Wilson, Herb Pomeroy and George Russell. And through appearances on recordings initiated by masters of Jazz Paul Bley and Gary Burton, studies with legendary Icons of American Music Jimmy Giuffre and Joe Maneri and masterclasses with 20th century classical composers Toru Takemitsu and Gyorgi Ligeti. He made his initial contribution to the creative New York City music scene in the early '90s, as a member of and featured soloist in Guillermo Klein's pioneering large ensemble. Appearing alongside many of the new generations foremost improvisers, weekly during the inception of Mitch Borden's influential Jazz Club, Smalls.
In a lineup that New York Times' Peter Watrous described as Unlike Any Other-One Of The Better Continuing Experiments in New York. Jazz Times reviewed the bands debute CD "Big Van/El Minotauro" (1995 Beat/1997 Candid ) enthusiastically, as did David R. Adler of All Music Guide who 4 star rated it and commended the bands Brilliant Soloists. In retrospect, National Public Radio included 'El Minotauro' in their list of the past decades most influential recordings, and Mike Quinn of Jazz Times Magazine labeled the ensemble semi-legendary.
Scholarships and awards from Berklee College Of Music and New England Conservatory, meant a 1989 transplant to the USA for Swedish-born, initially self-taught Hostfalt who, before early didactic encounters with blues greats Big Joe Williams, Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown and jazz piano master Horace Parlan, got his creative start through assisting his high school music teacher, classical guitar studies from age 16 and activity on the 80s progressive scene in the municipality of Vasteras, a creative community known for producing Jazz pianists Bobo Stenson and Esbjorn Svensson. Local, domestic artistic work that although taking place under the radar would prove substantial enough to generate grants for original projects/recordings in France, Sweden & USA and serve to establish an activity as a New York City based International performer, composer and bandleader.
While current work has focused more on modern/traditional original compositions based on standard jazz songs and forms, this has not excluded frequent excursions into Electronica, Drum & Bass, Hip Hop, Soul and Pop. As a NYC based bandleader, proprietor of the independent record label Sonus Rex and with his 7th album in process, he has for the past decade fused microtonality with electronica, spoken word and a variety of instrumentations including trombone, violin, clarinet, mandolin, accordion and toy piano, using a mix of third stream, avantgarde and traditional/mainstream Jazz aesthetics.
While 2002 had seen the release of the solo live concert recorded CD 29 PIeces For The Microtonal Guitar Live At Knitting Factory, 2011-12 would mark the 10-year anniversary of the '02 event through solo concerts at New Yorks Symphony Space, with a program of microtonal interpretations and re-arrangements of Standards from The American Songbook.
A veteran music educator, with three decades in creative music education, Mr. Hostfalt has served as a faculty member & clinician at leading institutions worldwide including The Royal Academy Of Music in Stockholm, New World School Of The Arts, University Of Florida / Miami-Dade College, Berklee College Of Music and New England Conservatory and as a New York Jazz Academy faculty member appeared in concert at Carnegie Hall's Issac Stern Auditorium. He is the President/Director of NYC Guitar Studio, Manhattan-an independent music education facilty coaching worldclass musicians, and notably known as one of few schools worldwide to offer systematic hands-on studies of microtonal music for guitar.
Events featuring Sten Hostfalt
- Sten Hostfalt/Shiro Onuma/Blaise Siwula Live in NYC July 29
- Sten Hostfalts 3 or 4 at Puppets Jazz Bar New York City SEPT 5
- King Bato The Yugo's tribute to Rashied Ali at nublu NYC
- Awkward Bill plays Gilberto Gil at ABC No Rio NYC
- Sten Hostfalt/Blaise Siwula at GBM in NYC
- King Bato The Yugo Live at Nublu in NYC
- Sten Hostfalt's 3 or 4 at Spike Hill in NYC
- Sten Hostfalt microtonal music lecture at New World School Of The Arts, Miami. FL
- Sten Hostfalt 3 or 4 Live at Puppets NYC
- Sten Hostfalt & Trudy Silver at 5C Cafe NYC, DEC 31 2009
- Sten Hostfalts 3 or 4 at Puppets Jazz NYC, FEB 9 2010
- Sten Hostfalt 3 or 4 feat. Tim Luntzel and Marko Djordjevic at Spike Hill NYC, March 1 2010
- NYC Gypsy Jazz Sensation Bato The Yugo LIVE at Nublu Feb 21
- Sten Hostfalt / Blaise Siwula live at GBM NYC May 10 2010
- Bato The Yugo feat. Sten Hostfalt, Marko Djordjevic LIVE at Nublu NYC MAY 16 2010
- Sten Hostfalt-Blaise Siwula-Dave Miller at ABC No Rio NYC June 6 2010
- Sten Hostfalt 3 or 4 feat. Ole Mathisen and Marko Djordjevic at Nublu NYC June 13, 2010
- Sten Hostfalt 3 or 4 feat. Ole Mathisen and Marko Djordjevic at Spike Hill NYC, June 14 2010
- Sten Hostfalt's 3 or 4 at Shrine NYC, July 30 2010 feat. Ole Mathisen and Dave Miller
- STEN HOSTFALT's 3 at Local 269 NYC, AUG 8 2010 feat. Shayna Dulberger and Marko Djordjevic
- Sten Hostfalt / Blaise Siwula live at GBM NYC August 25 2010
- STEN HOSTFALT TRIO Live in Concert at Shrine NYC SEPT 23
- BLAISE SIWULA-DAVE MILLER-STEN HOSTFALT at ABC No Rio NYC OCT 24
- NY Jazz Academy Live at Carnegie Hall NYC December 26 2010
- Sten Hostfalt's K*MOD Live @ Shrine NYC January 14 2011
- Branislav 'Bato The Yugo' Andonov at Nublu NYC Feb 6 2011, feat. Sten Hostfalt, Marko Djordjevic, Takuya Nakamura, Welf Dorr
- Sten Hostfalt/Blaise Siwula 'Now Matter' CD Release
- Blaise Siwula/Sten Hostfalt at University Of The Streets NYC, Feb. 24 2011
- Branislav 'Bato The Yugo' Andonov at Nublu NYC Feb 27 2011, feat. Sten Hostfalt, Marko Djordjevic, Takuya Nakamura, Welf Dorr, Yusuke Yamamoto
- Sten Hostfalt Trio Live at Shrine Harlem NYC MAY 6 2011
- Sten Hostfalt Trio feat. Dave Miller, Blaise Siwula live at National Underground NYC MAY 21 2011
- Sten Hostfalt Solo Standards in New York June 25 2011
- Sten Hostfalt Solo Standards at Symphony Space NYC August 25
- Sten Hostfalt Standards Solo at Symphony Space NYC
- Concert to Celebrate and Remember the Life of Joe Maneri
- Sten Hostfalt Solo Performance at ABC No Rio NYC February 19 2012
- Sten Hostfalt and Savina Theodorou NYC Microtonal Music and Contemporary Dance Performance
- Blaise Siwula / Sten Hostfalt Live at Mulberry St. Library NYC
- Sten Hostfalt & Blaise Siwula live at musiXplore Paterson NJ
- Blaise Siwula/Sten Hostfalt at Dongan Hills Library Staten Island NY Nov 17 2012
- C.O.M.A. Solo Performances ft. Nishimura Murchison Grillot Pleasant Cooper Hostfalt Gauci Siwula
- Celebration of Joe Maneri / Artists Get Together!
- Sten Hostfalt/Jimmy Weinstein/Blaise Siwula+Guests at Nublu NYC April 9 2013
- Diana Wayburn Project + Stan, Sten e Van - Now + Oskar Bonstroke Live NYC May 22 2013
- Soft To Softer To Silent > Nishimura Siwula Iacovone Gallagher Hostfalt Cooper
- Always Continuing STRAIN INTO THE LIMITS > Nishimura Siwula Iacovone Hostfalt Gallagher Cooper Live at Nublu NYC August 13 2013
- THEN ! Soft To Softer To Silent ! > Nishimura, Iacovone, Siwula, Hostfalt, Cooper @ Freddys NYC AUG 27 2013
- Sten Hostfalt Modern Jazz & Blues Guitar Masterclasses at NYC Guitar Studio