Listed in no particular order
1) A High School music student gets the front page Headlines of his school newspaper for nailing the Clifford Brown “Cherokee” transcription and solo performance in the State High School Jazz band competition. This paper gives equal front page coverage for the Varsity Football player who scores the winning touchdown in this year’s State Championship football game.
2) The $300.00 spent on one Madonna concert ticket last year, is spent this year on 10 local jazz performances, house concerts, and a college/city Jazz festival. The $50 dollars left is anonymously dropped in a tip jar for the solo jazz guitarist performing at a local Coffee Shop.
3) People think about how they feed their ears the same way an athlete thinks about how he/she feeds the body.
4) When people hear Norah Jones, Michael Buble or Diana Krall, they ask themselves, what else is out there that I have not yet discovered? Then they actually explore and answer the question for themselves and share their findings with friends.
5) Doctors confirm that dancing to live Big Band Music for a one hour set, is more beneficial to health and fitness than any product sold on any infomercial ever. Jazz club owners accept Thigh Masters, Ab Busters, and old Jane Fonda exercise videos as cover charges. The plastic and metal are recycled and used to make new saxophone mouthpieces.
6) CNN airs the “shocking news” feature story about the shortage of qualified bass trombone and baritone sax players needed for the demand generated with item 5 above. University Music programs are scrambling to create incentive programs to attract those who quit band in 10th grade to try out for the offensive line football positions only to sustain and injury when landed on by a 300 pound defensive lineman during Spring practice. Early reports show the programs are working, enrollment is up!
More Articles in Community Articles
Hugh Masekela’s 75th Birthday Tour in Honor of Nelson Mandela
Karen Brundage-Johnson, PhD.
DC Jazz Festival Releases Tickets for 10th Anniversary Event
Vocal Jazz Workshops in NYC Spark Interest
A Double Bill of Song and Music: Cecile McLorin Salvant and The Spring Quartet at Jazz at Lincoln Center
THE DAVID WEISS SEXTET - WHEN WORDS FAIL Available on Motema Music, May 20, 2014
Jason Paul Harman Byrne
Drum Legend Terry Bozzio Presents a Solo Musical Performance on World´s Largest Tuned Drum and Percussion Set on Forthcoming North American Tour!