Legacy to Release 4 New Complete Album Collection Box Sets
Louis Armstrong, Charlie Christian, Duke Ellington and Bessie Smith packages due Oct. 30
Legacy Recordings has announced the Oct. 30 release of four new box sets, from Louis Armstrong, Charlie Christian, Duke Ellington and Bessie Smith. Each will contain the artist’s complete recorded output for the Columbia, OKeh or RCA Victor labels or will focus on a particular period of the artist’s output for the labels, according to a press release from the company. All of the discs in each set are packaged in replica mini-LP sleeves with vintage front and back cover artwork, and include full discographical information, liner notes, photography and more
The collections will be available through Sony Music’s PopMarket outlet and at general retail.
The box sets are:
Louis Armstrong: The Complete OKeh Columbia & RCA Victor Recordings 1925-1933 (OKeh/Columbia/RCA/Legacy)—10 titles, 10 CDs
Charlie Christian: The Genius of the Electric Guitar (Columbia/Legacy)—4 titles, 4 CDs
Duke Ellington—The Complete Columbia Studio Albums Collection 1951-1958 (Columbia/ Legacy)—9 titles, 9 CDs
Bessie Smith—The Complete Columbia Recordings (Columbia/ Legacy)—5 titles, 10 CDs
These four new entries follow up the first 22 box sets in the series, released through PopMarket.com in 2011 and 2012. Those titles covered the Dave Brubeck Quartet, Stanley Clarke, Miles Davis (2009), George Duke, Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Billie Holiday, the original Mahavishnu Orchestra, Wynton Marsalis, Charles Mingus, Thelonious Monk, Return To Forever, Woody Shaw, Wayne Shorter, Sarah Vaughan, Grover Washington Jr., Weather Report 1971-1975 and Weather Report 1976-1982 (all on Columbia/Legacy); the Brecker Brothers (on Arista/Legacy); Etta James (on Private Music/RCA/Legacy); and Paul Desmond and Nina Simone (on RCA/Legacy).
Where applicable, the albums in each box include the bonus tracks that have been released on the various Legacy expanded CD editions over the years.
1. Louis Armstrong & The Hot Fives – Volume 1 (1925-1926)
2. Louis Armstrong: The Hot Fives & Sevens – Volume 2 (1926-1927)
3. Louis Armstrong: The Hot Fives & Sevens – Volume 3 (1927-1928)
4. Louis Armstrong & Earl Hines (1927-1928)
5. Louis in New York (1929)
6. St Louis Blues (1929-1930)
7. You’re Driving Me Crazy (1930-1931)
8. Stardust (1931-1932)
9. Swing, You Cats (1932-1933)
10. Laughin’ Louie (1933, 1932, 1930)
Note: CDs one through seven reprise the first out-of-print seven volumes on Louis Armstrong from the Columbia Jazz Masterpieces series, released 1988 to 1993.
1. The Master Takes: Benny Goodman Sextet – 1939 / with The Alternate Takes
2. The Master Takes: Benny Goodman Sextet – 1940 / with The Alternate Takes
3. The Master Takes: Benny Goodman Sextet – 1940-41 / with The Alternate Takes
4. The Master Takes: the Metronome All Star Nine – 1940, Benny Goodman And His Orchestra – 1939-1941, The Sextet Breakdowns & False Starts, The Sextet Rehearsal Sequences, March 13, 1941 Jam Session
Note: This package reprises the contents of the out-of-print box set of 2002, Charlie Christian—The Genius Of The Electric Guitar.
1. Masterpieces By Ellington (1951)
2. Ellington Uptown (1952)
3. Blue Rose - Rosemary Clooney and Duke Ellington And His Orchestra (1956)
4. A Drum Is A Woman (1956)
5. Such Sweet Thunder (1957)
6. Ellington Indigos (1957)
7. Black, Brown And Beige Featuring Mahalia Jackson (1958)
8. Duke Ellington At The Bal Masque (1958)
9. Duke Ellington’s Spacemen: The Cosmic Scene (1958)
1. The Complete Recordings Vol. 1 (1923-1924) 2 CDs
2. The Complete Recordings Vol. 2 (1924-1925) 2 CDs
3. The Complete Recordings Vol. 3 (1925-1928) 2 CDs
4. The Complete Recordings Vol. 4 (1928-1931) 2 CDs
5. The Complete Recordings Vol. 5 (1931, 1933, unissued takes, St. Louis Blues soundtrack, Ruby Smith Dialogue/An Interview with Chris Albertson) 2 CDs
Note: This package reprises the contents of the five double-CD volumes of Complete Recordings that were released by Columbia/Legacy from 1991 to 1996.