06/24/11

Reports of Jack Sheldon's Death False

Earlier this morning we mistakenly published an obituary on Los Angeles-based trumpeter Jack Sheldon, based on unconfirmed reports from within the jazz community that Sheldon had died.

Sheldon is not deceased. His wife, Dianne Sheldon, has confirmed that Sheldon is alive and well and in Los Angeles. Mrs. Sheldon also said that she does not know how the rumors began.

JT regrets the error.

• Jun 24, 2011 at 01:29PM jonmathis

Dewey defeats Truman!!!

• Jun 24, 2011 at 01:46PM BrassOnesStu

So no barium for him huh, GREAT! LOL Hey Jack, hope ya liked the peak into the future,if ya gotta go it's great knowing you're gonna be missed!

• Jun 24, 2011 at 02:22PM philly

You guys are idiots!
    Your screw up has spread from Jax Bar all through Facebook, Twitter and beyond. Nice going guys!

• Jun 24, 2011 at 04:24PM David Martin

You guys are indeed idiots! Hope you avoid a lawsuit.

• Jun 24, 2011 at 04:28PM DaveSmith

Of all the people in the world I'm sure Jack is happiest about this news...and so am I

• Jun 24, 2011 at 04:35PM John Burt Polhamus Polhamus

Indeed. To have an obit written means people remembered that you were alive in the first place. I remember Jack's performance at The Blue Parrot in La Jolla in 1981. I was 17 years old, and he showed me how it was done. This just means we can hope to hear him again. Roll on, Jack!

• Jun 24, 2011 at 05:44PM MarkSchwartz

First of all, don't blame Jazz Times for this false report. I heard it from Rick Baptist, who got it from Wayne Bergeron. Sorry, if we all got duped, the Times can be let gently off the hook here. Still, it is instructive that you cannot believe everything you read on the Internet - especially not what's on Facebook! The good news is that Jack will undoubtedly have a very funny one-liner to share with everyone, I'm sure. here's to that happy eventuality!

• Jun 24, 2011 at 06:08PM Mark Markus

someone better call and tell Jack!

• Jun 25, 2011 at 01:07AM JimMacQ

How it got started:

Jack Laverne Sheldon, Sr. of Mesa AZ passed away at age 85 on June 11.

• Jun 25, 2011 at 03:13PM Debbie Stough

Someone better tell Jack he's a newlywed also. Don't think he's aware of that.

• Jun 25, 2011 at 06:24PM bradmartiniman

Hey guys ... cool it with the lawsuit crap and the over the top assaults on Jazz Times ... we got emails from very good sources, family friends, etc, saying that Jack had indeed passed and held off till it was reported in JazzTimes ... we had previously reported on http://MartiniInTheMorning.com that Jack had cancelled a date at Catalina Jazz Club in Hollywood, and rumors were abound that he had a stroke. No confirmation because Diane wasn't returning phone calls from anyone! As for the criticism of Jazz Times, I also remember being at a radio station and getting the Frank Sinatra obit from Associate Press long before his passing. OY VEY ... Love Jazz Times and am thankful we have you as a source for the music we love . Thankfully, Jack is alive ... I'm buying tix for his 8th birthday show!

• Jun 27, 2011 at 09:11AM Chris Albertson

From what I know of Sheldon's persona, wishful thinking might be at the root of this error.

That said, I thought he was quite good as a comedian and not bad as a trumpeter.

• Jul 10, 2011 at 04:43PM dwake104

Correction: Jack is NOT married to Dianne. Her name is DIANNE JIMENEZ. She is his manager/agent. I agree with Debbie Stough that Jack would be surprised to learn that he is married.

• Jul 22, 2011 at 08:26PM Donna Shore

The real rumor started that he had a stroke, & that his speech was affected. He is reported to be in post-stroke rehabilitation treatment and mobile. The report came from a source who will not be identified. Apparently the reporter maintains that he went to Jack's home and saw him return from the appt and that Jack said to the visitor, "F - - k You". So it sounds like he's on his way to recovery. However, the news that he is married may put him over the top and result in a relapse.

• Apr 24, 2012 at 04:06PM Jack Sheldon

The Jack Sheldon, Sr., 85 of Mesa, AZ, who passed away on June 6, 2011, was my father. However, I have been a fan of Jazz artist Jack Sheldon for some time having played drums most of my life. Jack's drummer D. Weller also attended the same high school as I did and he was a great mentor to me. Best to all. For Jazz Times, it was an honest mistake. Don't shoot the piano player.