Jazz News and Stories from Around the Web
A round-up of this week’s interesting stories about jazz, from around the world
• Jim Beckerman talks with jazz photographer Chuck Stewart about his exhibit at BergenPAC in New Jersey.
• Kara O’Connor of Wilton Villager in Wilton, CT reports on 89-year-old Dave Brubeck’s recovery from recent pacemaker surgery.
• Larry Blumenfeld went with Wynton Marsalis and Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra on cultural exchange trip to Cuba. He wrote about trip in two pieces for the Wall Street Journal.
• Victoria Burnett of the New York Times was on same trip and filed several interesting stories from Cuba.
• Local New York City newspaper reports on efforts to get Upper West Side street corner named after Miles Davis, who lived for a time in that neighborhood.
• Interesting interview in Seattle Times with former Poet Laureate Robert Pinsky about his affinity for jazz.
• In the New York Times, Nate Chinen reviews performance by the Jaki Byard Project.
• NPR is re-running Marian McPartland’s Piano Jazz show with legendary pianist Bill Evans.
• WBGO’s JazzSet with Dee Dee Bridgewater is featuring performance by power trio of Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke and Lenny White.