Jazz At Lincoln Center Announces 2009-10 Season
Jazz at Lincoln Center and Artistic Director Wynton Marsalis have announced the 2009-10 season programming featuring concerts, education events, broadcasts, touring and a line-up of guest music directors. This is the organization’s 23rd season of programming and begins the sixth season in its home, Frederick P. Rose Hall.
Among the highlights:
* Concerts by the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis featuring the music of Marsalis, Ted Nash and great pianists including Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Bill Evans, Herbie Hancock, Marcus Roberts and Mary Lou Williams.
* Ornette Coleman making his Rose Theater debut.
* Guest music directors including Mario Adnet, Monty Alexander, Pablo Aslan, Wess “Warmdaddy” Anderson, Bill Charlap, Andy Farber, Wycliffe Gordon, Carlos Henriquez, Ali Jackson, Ted Nash, Kenny Washington, and Matt Wilson.
* Mary Lou Williams’ centennial celebration including JLCO series concerts featuring Geoffrey Keezer and Geri Allen, Jazz For Young People®, and the Essentially Ellington program.
* Fats Waller Festival featuring Judy Carmichael, Andy Farber, Dick Hyman, and Marcus Roberts.
* Featured artists including: Kim Burrell, Marc Cary, Edmar Castaneda, Kurt Elling, Richard Galliano, Jared Grimes, Jon Hendricks, Bobby Hutcherson, Eric Lewis, Manhattan Transfer, Mulgrew Miller, Nestor Marconi, Maceo Parker, Gregory Porter, Dianne Reeves, and Yellowjackets with Mike Stern.
* Concerts celebrating international roots: Monty Alexander: Harlem-Kingston Express; Music of Dizzy Gillespie and Tito Puente; Pablo Aslan: Tango Salon; Edmar Castaneda; Kurt Elling and Richard Galliano’s Passion World, and Moacir Santos: A Journey to Brazil.
* National Endowment for the Arts Jazz Masters Awards Ceremony and Concert, produced by Jazz at Lincoln Center, honors 2010 inductees.
* Live from Jazz at Lincoln Center and A Night at Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola on SIRIUS XM Radio and a new season of nationally syndicated Jazz at Lincoln Center Radio by WFMT Networks.
* Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra tours of U.S., Canada and Europe; collaborations with the Barbican Centre in London, England, Berlin Philharmonic, and Monterey Jazz Festival.
* Holiday concerts: Kim Burrell, and Red Hot Holiday Stomp featuring Wycliffe Gordon.
* Family Concerts: Jazz for Young People®, Middle School Jazz Academy, and Essentially Ellington.
* Back by popular demand: Jazz and Art features Ted Nash’s Portrait in Seven Shades and the debut of Wynton Marsalis composition.
* Dizzy’s Club Coca-Cola featuring guest artists nightly, Upstarts! on Mondays, After Hours sets and engagements to complement season festivals.
* Swing University classes led by Phil Schaap, Amiri Baraka, Bill Charlap, Vincent Gardner, Dick Katz, Lewis Nash, Father Peter O’Brien, and Kenny Washington.
* WeBop! classes for 8 month to 5-year-olds and a caregiver will continue at Frederick P. Rose Hall and at Head Start in Washington Heights in collaboration with Lori Custodero, Teachers College, Columbia University.
* 10th Annual Band Director Academy sessions, the Essentials of Teaching Jazz, with top faculty at Jazz at Lincoln Center.
Visit JALC for more information, including detailed ticketing information.