Kurt Elling to Headline Jazz Week
Blue Note vocalist Kurt Elling will headline the University of Memphis’ Jazz Week 2006. Set to take place from Feb. 28 – March 4, the festival will feature faculty and students from the university’s Rudi E. Scheidt School of Music performing with guest musicians. In addition to Elling, Count Basie Orchestra trombonist Benny Powell will also perform.
All Jazz Week events are open to the public and start at 7:30 p.m. The full schedule is as follows and all shows are free except where noted:
- Feb. 28: A "Jazz Combos" show by eight student groups at Harris Concert Hall
- March 1: Student jazz/R&B ensemble Blue Ascendance at Harris Concert Hall
- March 2: A "Jazz Singers" show by two student jazz choirs at Memphis Drum Shop
- March 3: A "Faculty Jazz Group" concert (featuring Jack Cooper on saxophone, bassist Tim Goodwin, pianist Chris Parker and drummer Karlton Scott) with special guest Benny Powell at Harris Concert Hall
- March 4: A "High School Jazz Festival" with nearly a dozen competing high school jazz bands at Harris Concert Hall
- March 4: Southern Comfort Jazz Orchestra with special guests Kurt Elling and His Trio at the Michael D. Rose Theatre ($10 general public, $7 seniors, faculty and non-U of M students, U of M students free with ID)
Tickets are available by calling (901) 678-5400.