08/06/14

Mostly Other People Do the Killing to Release Miles Remake Album

“Blue” is a note-for-note recreation of “Kind of Blue”

Mostly Other People Do the Killing will release its seventh studio album, Blue, Oct. 14 on Hot Cup Records. The album is a note-for-note re-creation of Miles Davis' classic 1959 recording, Kind of Blue. The group consists of trumpeter Peter Evans, alto saxophonist Jon Irabagon, pianist Ron Stabinsky, composer/bassist Moppa Elliott and drummer Kevin Shea. Elliott and Peter Evans first conceived of the idea for this project in 2002. The liner notes are by the Argentine author, Jorge Luis Borges, who explored similar themes in his writing. A CD release concert will take place Nov. 9 at Cornelia Street Café in New York City.

3-mopdk_sm_depth1
Mostly Other People Do the Killing performing during the 2011 Newport Jazz Festival
By Ken Franckling
Img_0831_depth1
Mostly Other People Do the Killing, backstage at 2011 Newport Jazz Festival
By Melissa Mergner

1 of 2      Next

• Aug 06, 2014 at 03:26PM BiPolarBear

Really? How does this kind of project add any sort of value to an art form that is supposed to be about playing in the moment, taking risks, pushing boundaries?

When Wayne Shorter said "Jazz is another way of saying 'I dare you,'" (I'm paraphrasing the quote here, I don't have the exact words in front of me...), I'm pretty sure he didn't mean "I dare you to recreate something that was done to perfection a half a century ago."

Given the choice between *Kind of Blue* and *A Note-for-Note Re-Creation of Kind of Blue,* or whatever they are going to title this entirely misguided project, why would anyone choose the latter? What good reason is there to listen to this CD? I just don't get it.

• Aug 06, 2014 at 10:06PM Brian Shea

If I recall correctly, the inspiration for this project was Wynton Marsalis calling Jazz "Americas Classical Music". I don't want to misquote them, but my interpretation is that they found that comment to be so ludicrous, especially given the precision and ideal that classical musicians try to attain - in an entirely different way that jazz musicians do- so they are simply responding to his comment and recording the album like a pianist might record another collection of Chopins piano works. Note got note. I think it's brilliant.

• Aug 06, 2014 at 10:08PM Brian Shea

"Note for note" - not "note got note" (even though that's kinda funny)

• Aug 06, 2014 at 10:09PM Brian Shea

"Note for note" - not "note got note" (even though that's kinda funny)

• Aug 08, 2014 at 10:40PM BiPolarBear

If you're right, that seems like a lot of expense and effort to thumb your nose at a leading figure in the music while revealing an inability to understand what the guy was saying in the first place. Marsalis was comparing the place of the music in the culture, not talking about performance practice or aesthetics.

• Aug 12, 2014 at 09:23AM Brian Shea

These guys are too cool and not petty enough to thumb their nose, I believe it's more that they saw the comment had interesting implications and they simply bringing to fruition inspiration from that. In a world where many jazz musicians take themselves way too seriously (not all), and where simply releasing new versions of the classic library is getting tiresome (no matter how beautiful, musical or innovative), I think turning it all on it's head and recording it in a classical style (eg a new recording of beethovens 5th, etc) is about as innovative as u can get. Barely jazz in the loosest of terms, it will be interesting to hear the old notes from new instrumentalists, lips, and toms, for the first time.