Kenny Werner: Revisiting Effortless Mastery
Jazz teaching guru shares his wisdom about playing music
In this excerpt from teaching guru Kenny Werner's Effortless Mastery: The 4 Steps instructional video, available from JazzHeaven, Kenny talks about music, practicing & one's mind—how it helps, and how it gets in one's way.
He is the author of the landmark book “Effortless Mastery” (over 90,000 copies sold) – now a “bible” for musicians & artists all over the world, jazz & beyond. It has shown the way for generations of artists seeking discipline in their practicing as well as liberation and meaning in their playing.
In this video, Kenny walks you exactly through the 4 Steps outlined in Effortless Mastery.
* How to get into “The Space”
* How to “Practice the Minimum” for Maximum Benefit! (Extensive Demo)
* How to form New Habits
* Powerful Daily Practice Routines
* Experience Music from a whole new Realm
* Learn to connect your instrument with your “Self” through the 1st Step
* Effective Ways to move beyond the Ego and into “the Space”
* How to become a more Natural & Fearless Improviser
* Developing Laser-like Focus when Practicing
* Learn how to let go while performing and let the flow of music take you over
This video is just like having Kenny Werner guiding YOU in a private lesson on Effortless Mastery!
Plus, there are Student Lessons on 5 instruments (trumpet, sax, guitar, drums & violin) to show you by example how the steps apply to different instruments.
(5 Lessons, ~20 minutes each!)
The video was recorded on August 2010 at JazzHeaven Studios, NYC.
To check out more instructional jazz videos, go to the JazzHeaven website.